Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Heading Home - March 1st

I have many mixed emotions as I sit here and type.   In many ways, I am ready to be home and sleep in my own bed and at the same time I am very sad to leave Kenya.   I have grown to love this country and its people.   We have been so privileged to meet so many beautiful people who have been willing to share their stories with us.   We indeed have been blessed.

This morning we went to Eastleigh for the last time.  We were able to take a tour of the pottery section of the center.   The Noor ladies were making beads and glazing beads.   It is amazing to see 10 of these ladies make such beautiful creations.   It is inspiring to see them overcome so many odds - they are refugees.   They had the courage to go to school and learn English.  Now they are able to make jewelry and sell it and support their families.   Wow!    We also saw some men make bowls and plates.   It was incredible to watch a lump of clay become a piece of art.

The other exciting aspect of the pottery was hearing about the water filters.    The money that many of you contributed not only made the lives of 50 people in the Eastleigh area healthier but you supported the artisans in the pottery area as well.   They make the ceramic filters inside the water filters.   It was interesting to hear about the process and the difference this group in making in the lives of so many people.

I quickly went to the pottery store.   I wanted to purchase 100 necklaces to bring home to sell.   We are a bit concerned about the weight limit and I was only able to buy 60.   We decided to purchase them for more than what they were asking.   If anyone is interested, I have solidarity necklaces for $10/each.   Anything I receive above that amount, will be forwarded directly to Noor Creations. 

We then headed up to the Iftin class to say good-bye.   I knew it was going to be hard but was not expecting it to be SO hard.   How can one become attached to people in only 3 weeks?   It was heartbreaking watching Micah & Aby.   They did not want to say good-bye.   Farhia was kind enough to walk us to our van.   The kids had tears rolling down their cheeks.   Farhia is convinced we will see each other again, therefore it was not a good-bye but a see you later.  We all had tears in our eyes and we drove away.

I hope that my life will be different when I get back to Winnipeg.   I hope I will be more thankful for all of the things God has allowed me to have.   I trust I will not take our clean drinking water for granted.  I trust I will become even more thankful for our beautiful warm home.  I hope I become a more generous person to those around me.  I do not want to take the freedom and safety that I have in Winnipeg for granted.   I know I will be thankful for my own bed and the laws of the road.   It will be weird to drive on the right side of the road.   I hope Micah's smile remains.   He would never smile for the camera at home and now we see his beautiful smile daily.

Thank you to all of those who have contributed to this trip directly and to those of you who have given money for the programs here in Kenya.   It truly has been a life changing experience for all of us.   I believe we will continue on a journey when we get home.   It will look a bit different but I hope the compassion in all of us will remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment