Friday, February 11, 2011

Eastleigh - Feb 11

Today was a celebration with the Iftin women.   They cleared out the hall and swept the floor and turned on the music.   The women came in their celebration clothes.   As soon as we arrived, Farhia whisked Aby away.   Soon she joined us dressed up in a traditional Somali garment.   She looked fabulous.   Next, Erica & I were taken away and given clothes to wear as well.   I felt like a queen.   Farhia let me use an outfit that she would wear for very special occasions.  I do not know how these women wear these clothes everyday.    I only had the beautiful outfit on for a few hours and I was sweating.    It was rather odd walking back into the hall and having everyone excited to see me and wanting their picture with me.   Soon it was time for some of the Somali women to take the stage to sing and dance.   It was not long until all of us that were dressed in the Somali garments were brought on stage with them.   It was fun to participate and enjoy some of the culture with these women.  Unfortunately, I was not able to watch some of the Ethiopian women demonstrate some of their cultural dances.

We were surprised later in the morning.   The women from Noor jewelery (& Patrick) presented us with some gifts.   On Monday, when we arrived we peaked in their building and saw some of the beads they were creating.   I commented on how beautiful they were.   Well, they gave me a necklace made out of some of these beads.   They also made a necklace, bracelet & earrings for Aby.  Mark & Micah were each given a mug.   I was humbled they would give us these beautiful gifts.   It feels as though we only have interrupted their days and yet somehow they have enjoyed our company.  After these presentations, we were able to enjoy some food from the catering (from one of the skills training classes) as well as some more dancing.    Yes, Mark tried to dance as well.   We all had a lot of fun this morning.    I am hoping to be able to edit some of the video in the next few days to share.
  
Before we left Eastleigh, we were able to present the remaining soccer balls from Willowlake to the sports coordinator.   He was very happy to be given so many balls for the school.  (Thanks Virginia for your willingness to share).   Aby & Micah raised over $1200 toward water filters.    The ceramic filtering system is made by the potters at Eastleigh.    We found out today that the filters were being assembled and would be ready for delivery next week.    On one of our home visits, we found out that Farhia and Laura do not have water filters.    We wanted to look at the filters before we left and asked Farhia to come along with us.   Aby & Micah were able to present her with a filter (way to go Windsor school & WBC Sunday School kids).    We will give Laura a filter next week when we go back to Eastleigh. 

Have I mentioned that it is hot in Nairobi?   We then headed out for lunch, I sat in the back of the van with Micah & Aby.   I am not sure I have felt that hot before in a vehicle as we drove through the streets to the restaurant.    The place we were hoping to eat was very busy but the gift shop wasn't :)   All of the items in the shop are made by refugees.   Aby & I felt that it was only right for us to make a couple of purchases.   

We then went to a Brazilian restaurant.   This was an amazing meal.   There was a salad buffet with a few meats to choose from.    Once you sat down, the meat started arriving to your table.   Servers brought swords with all different type of meat that had been cooked on a rotisserie.   They would shave off as much meat as you would like.   You had a little card in front of you.   As long as the green side was up, they kept on coming.   When you finally had enough, you turned it over to red.     I finally had to turn over Aby's card.   I have never seen her eat so much food in my life.   She ate the most out of us all.  One of my favorite foods was deep fried banana.  I am not exactly sure what they all did to it but it was simply amazing.   Erica & I both thought it needed a bit of chocolate sauce but it was fabulous without it.    Technically, that was not dessert. They brought pineapple that had cinnamon & sugar sprinkled on it that was cooked on the sword for dessert.  That was okay but the banana rocked!   Micah loved the top sirloin and Aby loved the sirloin as well as the pork ribs.   Mark didn't say what his favorite was.

We stopped by the Masai market again this afternoon.   We wanted to pick up a couple of more souvenirs.   I also bought my basket, so now I have room to bring everything home.    We enjoyed another wonderful evening with the Kenny's.    It was nice to connect as families again.   We even played a game of cranium outside.    We played family against family but we won't talk about which family won :(

Tomorrow morning we head out on our 3 day safari.   We have purchased some snacks for the trip.  It is a 5 1/2 hour drive.   We are looking forward to seeing some African animals.   We will not have internet until we come home on Monday.


Aby & Micah giving Farhia her water filter.
The filters getting ready to be assembled.
Aby & I in our Somali garments

Erica & Farhia doing a Somali dance.

Many of the school children kept looking in.

The presentation from the Noor Jewelry project.

Nelius (on my left) teaches all of the English to the Iftin ladies.   She does an incredible job with them.   Laura (on my right) has coordinated all of our time in Eastleigh.    They are both wonderful ladies who are passionate about their work.

No words to describe this picture.

Aby & Micah had a great time dancing.

1 comment: